Once Upon A Saturday
This Saturday, I concocted a new application. Quite a useless app but fun to build anyway (and it took me around 8 hours to build). Its called Online SMS.
Its made of 2 parts, an Android app and a Python GAE Server. Here is how it works
1. Install the android application. (Online SMS)
2. Once you launch it, you will see a login screen with a list of Google accounts active on your phone. Choose anyone and you get registered on my server.
Behind the scene, the app registers itself with GCM using Urban Airship and sends the registration Id along with the email you selected to my server.
With this part done, now you don’t ever need to launch the app again.
3. Now you can visit http://sms.fauzism.com. To login, you will need the same Google account as the one you used in the Android app. For most users, this would mean that you login into your Gmail account and then come to my site and click on the “Gmail” link.
4. Once logged in, you will see a form asking for a phone number and message. Type these things in and hit Send. The message will be relayed to your phone which would then send it as an sms to the phone number you entered. Now if this isn’t useless and inefficient, I don’t know what is.
Few things I would like to add sometime soon would be
1. Fetching contacts from Google
2. Group SMS
4. Long Messages
Lets see when I come to it.